511.6 Residents of Drug Addiction or Alcoholic Treatment and Rehabilitation Centers

Persons who reside in a drug addiction or alcoholic treatment and rehabilitation center may be eligible for SNAP as a separate household from others with whom they may have lived prior to entering treatment; residents must be certified as a one-person household unless their children are living with them, in which case their children must be included in the household with the parent.

For its residents to be certified for benefits, the treatment center must be publicly or privately operated as non-profit and meet one of the following conditions:

7 CFR §§271.2 and  273.11(e)(2)(i)

NOTE: Recovery Houses are not considered institutions because they do not provide meals to residents as part of their normal operations. Individuals residing at recovery houses can be eligible for SNAP if otherwise eligible.

Determining Eligible Treatment Centers

To determine if a drug addiction or alcoholic treatment center is approved under Part B of Title XIX of the Public Health Act,  the CAO should use the following link approved by the Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs for their licensed Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers. 


To search, the CAO should select their county under the “Geographic Search” dropdown, select “Drug/Alcohol Treatment Facility” under the “Facility Type Search” dropdown and click "find." 

To meet the requirements for residents to receive SNAP benefits,  the facilities displayed as a result of this search must have “type of ownership” column must show "non-profit" and “Activity (Added On) - Client Capacity – License Status” column must say "Inpatient Non-Hospital."

Direct questions about centers not listed in the above website to:

Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs
Bureau of Quality Assurance for Prevention and Treatment
Division of Drug and Alcohol Program Licensure
1 Penn Center, 5th Floor

2601 N. 3rd St.

Harrisburg, PA 17110
Phone: 717-783-8675

Note: If calling, ask to speak to the person in licensure who is on call that day.


511.61 Household Eligibility

A resident of a treatment center must meet the same SNAP eligibility requirements as any other household.

7 CFR § 273.11(e)(2)

A resident of a treatment center has the same rights to receive notices of adverse action, fair hearing, and entitlement to restored benefits as any other household.

7 CFR § 273.11(e)(2)(ii)

The CAO must use expedited or normal processing, depending on the client’s income and circumstances.

7 CFR § 273.11(e)

511.62 Center Responsibilities

The treatment center must choose an employee to act as an AR to apply for and get SNAP benefits. The center must spend the SNAP benefits on meals made by or for the resident and his or her children.

7 CFR § 273.11(e)(1)

The center must give the CAO monthly a list of residents who are participating in treatment at the center. An official from the center must sign a statement saying that the list is accurate. The CAO may make random on site visits to the center to make sure the list is accurate.

7 CFR § 273.11(e)(3)

The treatment center must report changes in the household's income or situation and must let the CAO know when the resident leaves the center.

7 CFR § 273.11(e)(2)(iv)

When a resident leaves the treatment center, the center must do the following:


7 CFR § 273.11(e)(5)

If the center used the PA EBT ACCESS Card, it must do one of the following:

When the resident leaves, the center can no longer be the household's AR. The center must return to DHS, benefits not given to the resident.

Reissued March 8, 2024, replacing October 6, 2022