This online training program must be successfully completed by all individuals who are seeking Department of Human Services approval as an instructor for personal care home administrators in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It is designed to provide and reinforce basic training skills, including the roles and responsibilities of the trainer, training methodology, the use of instructional aids and recordkeeping.
To become a Department-approved training institution:
- All proposed instructors must complete the Department’s Train-the-Trainer course. This course is available on the right hand side of the screen under “Explore Training”.
- All interested training institutions must complete an application for registration. The application must include written verification of completion of the online course for proposed trainers. You may call 717-783-3670 for an application.
- The completed application, including all necessary attachments, must be submitted to DHS for review and approval.
- The training institution must receive a letter of approval from the Department prior to offering the course of study.
This training is estimated to take 45 minutes, though you can go through the material at your own pace. At the conclusion of the online training, a 10-question quiz is provided. Passing the test with a score of 90 percent or better is required to receive the Department’s approval as an instructor for Pennsylvania’s personal care home administrators.
The course is broken into 4 sections:
- I - Introduction
- II - Basic Principles of Adult Education: The 5 E’s—Engage, Excite, Enhance, End, and Evaluate
Each of the 5 “E’s” (adult education principles) is presented in 3 parts:
- Introduction to underlying concepts and themes.
- Presentation of 2 short video vignettes designed to further explain the key principle and to help the trainee distinguish between appropriate applications and violations of the principle.
- Brief summary.
- III - Summary of the Training
- IV - Quiz